Sunday, July 19, 2015

Blog #4

  • The total of my future expenses each year are $56,000.  I know this is logical because my primary sources for information are working adults with decades of life expense experience and this link. This number reflects life in San Francisco at 27. I didn't include college expenses because hopefully I will have graduated college years before. I also didn't include health insurance, because I know I want a job that covers me.
  • According to this source and many like it, I can likely count on making over $100,000 each year in my future job as an environmental engineer.  My education/training to get that job will cost $80,000 total for all years of training excluding scholarships and aid.
  • I want to save $500 for my rainy day fund each year, and $2000 for retirement each year.  If I save $2000 for retirement each year, by the time I am 65 years old I will have around $80,000 plus interest.
  • Comparing my future income and expenses makes me think maybe I should choose a different place to live and start my career, or consider getting a roommate for a while. It also makes me think about attending a private university that would offer much better aid than loans at a public university.

4 comments:

  1. It's great that you are thinking about your different options for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool that you know where you want to live and work and factored that in. I know the cost of living there is larger than in other places. I would suggest maybe saving more for your rainy day fund. Can you afford that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like saving a little each year will pay off for your retirement. It's always good to have a plan for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear you know what you to do for work and where you want to live!

    ReplyDelete