Saturday, July 4, 2015

Blog #2

       At my internship at Spiral Water Technologies, a startup company that designs and builds automatic filtration systems, all my tasks are assigned by the Chief Technology Officer (CTO). My assignments are different each day and require application of different skills, some examples: communicating with clients, scanning and organizing files, research, writing research papers, designing parts with engineering software, and getting my hands dirty actually wiring and putting together the machines. It's very exciting, but the CTO is very busy so I need to be proactive and seek out work, asking what I can do and what I should be doing the next day in case he's in a meeting. This internship has really built my communication skills, because I have learned how to, in a professional way, stay in communication with my boss. I respond to emails and texts promptly, and when talking in person I'm direct, polite, and always clarify when I don't understand (engineering is not simple stuff). Another work readiness skill I use is dedication. My willingness to work on any given task with high levels of enthusiasm whether it's scanning or building, is really appreciated by those I work with, and makes me a dedicated intern. This week I was wiring the control box on a filter for an entire day, wire after wire. It may have been tedious, but I was learning and it was important to the success of their products, so I had to put in tremendous effort. When I had finished, I was proud of myself for staying focused, asking questions, and working hard; I felt accomplished and helpful. 
       A work readiness skill that caused me to work harder is honesty. In just two weeks, every time I've interned, I come across something new in the field of engineering that directly applies to my task, and I need to be honest and tell my coworkers "I don't understand." When interning, it's important to understand how much your supervisors think you know, and what their expectations are. In my case, I wasn't sure, but as someone who wants to make a good impression, I wanted them to be impressed with my background and experience, but I had to accept that I didn't know very much about filtration, and my engineering design class was nothing compared to their 20 years of experience and college degrees. It's important that I allow myself to be humbled, because that it means that I'm learning new things and not pretending like I understand. I realize now that they appreciate when I interrupt to ask questions, because it means I'm trying to understand and that I want to do it right.  


3 comments:

  1. I also find that people appreciate honestly and being asked questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you are modest enough to tell your boss when you don't understand something

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you are dedicated to learn more about your career by asking questions. Asking questions is incredibly important in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete